LOVE OUR CITY WEEKEND HIGHLIGHTS
What a weekend Hope In The City! We loved being on mission together in the city of Austin for LOVE OUR CITY WEEKEND! Instead of church on Sunday morning on Monterrey Oaks Blvd, we all took to the city together to share the love of Jesus with people that are searching for meaning, healing, purpose, forgiveness, and love. Over 150 of us scattered across the city in teams to love the people that God put in front of us. Here are some highlights from the weekend, and check out the LOVE OUR CITY RECAP video on YouTube (subscribe to our channel!).
- Zilker Park – there was a large turnout to Zilker Park. We engaged in spiritual conversations, prayed for many, and invited folks to join us in sports together. Families and youth turned out in force. Two folks visiting from out of town that joined us said, “I’ve done service projects previously, but it was such fun to engage people in spiritual conversations and talk about Jesus”
- Hospital outreach – a team went to Seton Hospital to pray for the sick. As we arrived, the hospital staff had their hands full with patients, emergency situations, and activity that needed prayer. After two hours of praying for patients, the hospital floor became a place of peace. It was such a blessing to the hospital staff that they asked if we could return next week
- Homeless outreach – a team went under freeway overpasses and to the streets of downtown to pray for the poor and homeless. In addition to prayers and encouragement, we brought bright, yellow, smiley-faced balloons to bring cheer to their day. One homeless man who was prayed for had his hearing restored after being unable to hear well for a long time. He said, “It’s a miracle!”, and decided to follow Jesus!
- Service Project – a team spent the day helping a family whose home had been significantly damaged by fire. The team loved this family by cleaning up soot, completing demo work, and installing insulation and drywall to help this family restore life into this terrible situation.
- Gospel Brunch – a large group went to the Thicket to join the fun at the Gospel Brunch whose stated goal is to help humanity not to suck. It was a great environment of live, bluegrass music, and fun and engaging conversations with the people of Austin. Hearing people’s stories about generosity and how generosity from others has impacted their lives.
- International Students – our college team took a trip to NASA for the weekend with International college students. They had fun together, heard about the wonder of God’s creation from an astronaut, and had deep spiritual conversations over the weekend.
We are so thankful for what God did this weekend! What was forecasted to be a wet and miserable weekend of hurricane weather, became a beautiful morning of fun in the sun to love our city! Such an answer to prayer for the week!
It was a joy to Love Our City together! We can’t wait until the next one!
Elders and Pastors, Hope In The City